[RC5] win95 hidden not working?

Mike Silbersack silby at execpc.com
Thu Apr 16 13:17:00 EDT 1998

On Thu, 16 Apr 98 08:33:02 -0500, Dan Petrak wrote:

>As several people have allowed me to put the client on their machines, I wanted to make it easy for them to not notice
it.  [That way, perhaps I'll be less intrusive.]  But for the life or me, I can't get proof that the hidden client actually works!
The log file only shows that it is using my email [a different one than this] and then ... nothing.

>Does anyone know of extra steps needed to make this client run?
>
>---
>Regards,
>Daniel C. Petrak

Well, the win95 hidden really *is* hidden.  It NEVER shows a window of any kind... you should probably set up the
configuration with the regular RC5DES CLI, ensure that it's working, and then rename rc5desh.exe to rc5des.exe.  That
way, you'll be putting the hidden client into a known working configuration.  The other option is to use the GUI client,
which (should be) much easier to configure/test, and then set it into hidden mode.  I'd pick option two, as you then have
the guicntrl utility available, which will let you check the client's status, even when it's hidden.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack
silby at execpc.com
Distributed.Net Tech Support

We cracked RC5-56.  We cracked DES.  Can you help us with RC5-64?
Put your idle CPU to work:  Add it to the world's LARGEST computer.
http://www.distributed.net/

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net