[RC5] Client not using all available idle cycles

Joe Zbiciak j-zbiciak1 at ti.com
Thu Apr 16 23:53:23 EDT 1998

'JDBarnette' said previously:

| This one has me puzzled.  I have a P233MMX notebook computer running the
| latest Win95 GUI client.  At niceness levels 0 and 1, WinTop shows
| approximately 11% of my cycles going to the IDLE process.  Only at niceness
| level 2 does the IDLE level get down to less than 0.5%.

Do you have any power-management software enabled?  Perhaps the laptop is
calling into the APM stuff whenever the IDLE task is being called, thus
artificially lengthing the amount of time actually spent in IDLE?

Just a thought...  (not that I'm a Windows freak.  :-)

Regards,

--Joe

--
 +----------- Joseph Zbiciak ----------+