[RC5] Dupes

Peter A. DeNitto denitto at llamas.net
Fri Apr 17 12:35:21 EDT 1998

On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> >Now, you have say that i can notified that i make duplicate Blocks...
> >Where did i see that? If i flush my blocks, i don't see. If i see thera
> >are not all blocks in the Stats i don't know where i lose it. Where can
> >i see that i lose blocks because there are duplicate?
>
> Dominique has a point here. We don't know if we're submitting duplicate
> blocks, and some of us might want to know. As an idea for when d.net gets its
> check from RSA and gets better computers: is it possible to optionally send
> e-mail to participants on a weekly (or whatever) basis informing them of how
> many blocks they submitted and how many and what percentage were duplicates.
> Hmm?

With the distributed key distribution system, and a centralized key
tracker, there is no way to notify end clients in a timely manner whether
the block they just completed is a duplicate.  This can be done by keeping
a local image of the block database on every full proxy.  Each image is
64mb, and 4 subspaces are open at any time, and each subspace needs 2
images.  So first would be the problem of moving the database out.  Second
would be Storage of those subspaces on the proxies (512MB). Third would be
an efficient way to update them (not too tough though).

As a full proxy runner myself, I don't have the funds to purchase another
hard drive to do this, and this would also tax the system resources to
where you'd be lucky the system had time to hand a key out to you.

Emailing dupers is nice, however, I'm sure people didn't sign up to
receive weekly mail from d.net.  Also, the dupe logs are immense (57MB for
the dupe log from April 13th) and require too much resources to do
something like that regularly.

--Pete

--
Help Crack Government Encryption - Join the Bovine Project: www.distributed.net
The cows are tromping all over America. Cows can replicate. They're

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net