[RC5] Porting to Handhelds/Printers

Ed Wensell III aka THE StormRaiser EWENSELL at pstcc.cc.tn.us
Fri Apr 17 09:03:17 EDT 1998

=> > On 22 Mar 98 at 1:10, Lorenzo Gonzalez wrote:
=> > > I'd like to see a client for laser printers.  Some of those have
<SNIP>
=> Also, does anybody know if you can send native code over, or if you have
=> to replace a ROM?  If you can't send over native code, it might pay for us
=> to write a PostScript client.  (I don't know, however, how we would
=> communicate the blocks back.  Ther'er a bit volumnious to print out and
=> mail.  <G>)

My guess is the client would have to be in cartridge form..

As for communication, my HP4 has a thing called a "JetDirect Card" installed in
it. The card allows the printer to appear as another device on a TCP/IP
network. However, the card might be locked to act as just a LPD server
(although, it does respond to pings). I'm surprised dome technical HP Printer
type people haven't spoken up yet to tell us it can't be done yet... :)

Until soon...
Ed Wensell III
Systems and Operations Support, Pellissippi State
http://www.pstcc.cc.tn.us/departments/sos
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net