[RC5] Porting to Handhelds/Printers

Lorenzo Gonzalez lgonzalez at nazdar.com
Fri Apr 17 08:45:57 EDT 1998

RE: LaserPrinter Clients

> to replace a ROM?  If you can't send over native code, it
> might pay for us
> to write a PostScript client.  (I don't know, however, how we would
> communicate the blocks back.  Ther'er a bit volumnious to
> print out and
> mail.  <G>)

Native code would be all but impossible, but PostScript is probably capable
of whatever convolutions the cipher algorithms require.  Communication is
definitely the hard part.  Most PostScript devices are capable of two way
comm, for querying device status, etc. (anyone ever open a command line to a
LaserWriter? Pretty cool.)  But A. Only a small percentage of office
printers are PostScript and B. The networking/comm protocols would be
awfully hairy.  I haven't looked at HP-PCL much, but I'm of the impression
it isn't as complete as PostScript, more of a dedicated page description
language, and less like the "FORTH for Graphics" that PostScript seems like.

maybe I'm just full of it.
It's early morning, you know.

Lorenzo Gonzalez
Distributed Jugglers