[RC5] Q: Block transfers at a scheduled time?

Ed Wensell III aka THE StormRaiser EWENSELL at pstcc.cc.tn.us
Fri Apr 17 09:10:22 EDT 1998

=> I'm sure this has been asked before but here goes:

=> Is there a chance ever of having the clients dump blocks at a scheduled time
=> of day or evening?  It'd be nice if the clients I have running at one of our
=> non-wired buildings _didn't_ decide to dial up in the middle of the day when
=> employees are running around.

=> I have a Linux box CRON'd for it, that's no problem, but these are Macs and
=> Windows boxes.

=> (Mac folk: I _do_ have QuicKeys setup to do this, but it's less than elegant.)

For Windows machines, how about the CLI (Command Like Interface) client? It
can be set to work for X hours and then exit out. In theory, it could then be
batched (set up two INI files, one for it to run offline and one for it to run
online. The batch would handle copying to INI's back and forth and re-starting
the client).

The Mac client has the same time feature, but I've never done batch routines on
a Mac. Can Macs to batches?

If the Windows machines are networked in anyway, you could also have them all
run offline, but share common in/out buffers on a central machine which would
handle the actual update.

Just some thoughts...

Until soon...
Ed Wensell III
Systems and Operations Support, Pellissippi State
http://www.pstcc.cc.tn.us/departments/sos
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net