[RC5] Time-out ... sorry just find it

Justin Cave jocave at MIT.EDU
Fri Apr 17 21:46:07 EDT 1998

At 03:53 PM 4/17/98 +0200, ALBERTY Pascal wrote

| But now, I can ask a global question:
|
| Do you think that it's a good solution ? Imagine that the winning
key is
| a key lost by a "trying_just_for_fun" people in the begining of the
| challenge! Imagine that the winning key is lost again in the second
attempt
| ... or more ...
|
| What's happening if a people run the client to get keys, just delete
| buffer.in whitout cracking them, re-run the client to get keys,
etc.. etc
| ... ????

Simply ut, this is the best strategy available.  It requires no
resources and does just as well, on average, as any theoretical
tracking system could.

To understand why this is, you have to make a probabilistic argument.
 Since no block is more likely to contain the key than any other
block, it doesn't matter what order we do the blocks in.  If I
downloaded 1000 blocks and delete them, all I do is change the order
in which d.net checks the blocks (since unreturned blocks will be
reassigned after all blocks have been given out once).  Thus, there's
nothing to worry about.

Justin Cave                        290 Massachusetts Ave
jocave at mit.edu                     Cambridge, MA 02139
http://mental-pygmie.mit.edu       (617) 225-9132
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net