[RC5] win95 hidden not working?

Hugo Villeneuve harpagon at rocketmail.com
Sat Apr 18 12:23:54 EDT 1998

  When I was using a 2.7004.386 DOS client on my Win95 based computer. I
could add this line to my RC5DES.INI to make it hidden:

win95hidden=1

  When the client would start, I could see it on the task bar for a half a
second and then it would desappeir. Thus I had no need for the hidden
client. If you comment this line (by putting an "#" before it), the
client, at next startup, will behave normally.

  I used that client for the whole DES contest and for the first days of
switching to RC5. This is my RC5DES.INI for my P166 always connected to
internet (uncomment the second line):

[parameters]
# win95hidden=1
id=hugo_villeneuve at videotron.ca
threshold=10:10
threshold2=0:0
count=0
hours=0.000000
timeslice=65536
niceness=0
logname=report.log
firemode=1
cputype=0
messagelen=2024
smtpsrvr=relais.videotron.net
smtpport=25
smtpfrom=RC5notify
smtpdest=harpagon at rocketmail.com
numcpu=1
checkpointfile=ckpoint.rc5
checkpointfile2=ckpoint.des
randomprefix=102
preferredcontest=1
preferredblocksize=30

  To see if a program is using the CPU and how much of it now, I use
Wintop (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/download/win_top.exe) a little
tool made by Microsoft ( here a link to all of the tools available for
Win95 http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/info/shareware.htm).

  If a program is using CPU time, it will show there. All the process on
your computer are there, not only programs. And you'll see with WinTop
that really old DOS programs (made to run on 8086) use all of the CPU time
they can get because they use POOLING.

ABOUT COMPUTER PROGRAMMATION AND MULTI-TASKING (FOR WHAT I KNOW):

POOLING: Every program is in continious loop that have to look for every
event (Did the mouse move?, Did the keyboard send a character?, etc) in
order to react to those and do the work asked. So even when the program
have nothing to do, it's still doing that a minimal loop.

(This is use in DOS programs. The DOS was build for 8086 machines that the
Intel CPU wasn't equip with multi-tasking capabilities. This came with 386
and that is why Unix couldn't be made for PCs until 91.)

---Mike Silbersack <silby at execpc.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Apr 98 08:33:02 -0500, Dan Petrak wrote:
>
> >As several people have allowed me to put the client on their machines,
I wanted to make it easy for them to not notice
> it.  [That way, perhaps I'll be less intrusive.]  But for the life or
me, I can't get proof that the hidden client actually works!
> The log file only shows that it is using my email [a different one than
this] and then ... nothing.

> >Does anyone know of extra steps needed to make this client run?
> >
> >---
> >Regards,
> >Daniel C. Petrak
>
> Well, the win95 hidden really *is* hidden.  It NEVER shows a window of
any kind... you should probably set up the
> configuration with the regular RC5DES CLI, ensure that it's working, and
then rename rc5desh.exe to rc5des.exe.  That
> way, you'll be putting the hidden client into a known working
configuration.  The other option is to use the GUI client,
> which (should be) much easier to configure/test, and then set it into
hidden mode.  I'd pick option two, as you then have