[RC5] avoiding dupe questions...

Dave Avery cwax at pacbell.net
Sun Apr 19 18:02:51 EDT 1998

On Sat, 18 Apr 1998 20:33:47 -0500 (CDT), Karl G - NOC Admin wrote:
>it's kind of unclear as to how the server expires blocks... (or if it does
>at all)  for instance... i've got a network that is completely
>disconnected from the net... so i'm doing manual fetch/flushes with a
>floppy from a pc (not on the same network) that does have inet access... i
>do this about once every 1-2 weeks... i guess my real question is, does
>the server recycle previously allocated blocks after an amount of time
>possibly causing dups?

there is NO set "time to live" on a block - the basic operation is whenever the
keymaster reaches the end of the current 2^56 bit subspace we reissue all unreturned
blocks. right now this happens about 6 weeks after we start a subspace...

dave
Dave Avery                                       cwax at pacbell.net
distributed .net Statistics plotting http://www.distributed.net/statistics
        Flight Simulator hardware and software engineering

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net