[RC5] Speed

Dan Sugalski sugalskd at osshe.edu
Mon Apr 20 14:06:12 EDT 1998

At 11:35 AM 4/20/1998 -0400, Bojan Baros wrote:
>Some of you will remember that a month or so ago I asked the question of
>Flops that D.Net has.  I got my answer today.  Combined MFlops are :
>2959855 or at least that is what it says on the stats page (thumbs up for
>new look).  That I think officially makes us the fastest computer on the
>net.
>	Also, is it possible that someone from the admin write a letter to
>the magazine byte and tell them that they are wrong (the said that
>fastest computer has broken 1 terraflops).

Except, of course, we haven't broken any flops mark. Flops is short for
Floating point Operations. RC5 and DES are both integer-only calculations,
so there's no floating point involved at all. (Not that I doubt we'd kill
that terraflop number if there were, but our current numbers don't have
anything to do with it)

					Dan

Dan Sugalski   (541) 737-3346                even samurai
SysAdmin                                     have teddy bears
Oregon University System                     and even the teddy bears
sugalskd at ous.edu                             get drunk
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net