[RC5] Speed

Bojan Baros barosb1 at lasalle.edu
Mon Apr 20 22:21:47 EDT 1998

On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, Dan Sugalski wrote:

> At 11:35 AM 4/20/1998 -0400, Bojan Baros wrote:
> >Some of you will remember that a month or so ago I asked the question of
> >Flops that D.Net has.  I got my answer today.  Combined MFlops are :
> >2959855 or at least that is what it says on the stats page (thumbs up for
> >new look).  That I think officially makes us the fastest computer on the
> >net.
> >	Also, is it possible that someone from the admin write a letter to
> >the magazine byte and tell them that they are wrong (the said that
> >fastest computer has broken 1 terraflops).
>
> Except, of course, we haven't broken any flops mark. Flops is short for
> Floating point Operations. RC5 and DES are both integer-only calculations,
> so there's no floating point involved at all. (Not that I doubt we'd kill
> that terraflop number if there were, but our current numbers don't have
> anything to do with it)
>
> 					Dan

And I was saying, that is a calculated value.  It is calculated from
taking some refference processor (in X86 case it was P100), calculating
how many of those processors would be doing current load of X86es, and
than multiplying it with the number of known FLOPS of P100.  That was
done by D.Net staff (http://www.distributed.net/statistics/stats.html.
I know that D.Net processing does NOT involve fp ops to be measured...

Can you at least check out the info before you start flaming people!!!!!!

Bojan Baros

P.S.
	For those of you not interested, sincerely sorry for the junk.