[RC5] Speed

Tue Apr 21 09:01:46 EDT 1998

On Mon, 20 Apr 1998 21:21:47 -0400 (EDT), Bojan Baros wrote:

>And I was saying, that is a calculated value.  It is calculated from
>taking some refference processor (in X86 case it was P100), calculating
>how many of those processors would be doing current load of X86es, and
>than multiplying it with the number of known FLOPS of P100.  That was
>done by D.Net staff (http://www.distributed.net/statistics/stats.html.
>I know that D.Net processing does NOT involve fp ops to be measured...

Which makes any comparison useless.

In my garden I can shovel about a cubic meter of soil in an hour into
a wheelbarrow, move it across the yard and dump it somewhere else.
Does this mean that me and my shovel and my wheelbarrow can move a
cubic meter of water the same distance in the same time?  No,
obviously, I am using the wrong tool, and the wrong measurement.

D.net works integer.  Any comparison to floating point is invalid.
You are comparing apples and ducks.

If you take this as a personal flame, I am sorry, it is not intended
as such.  Please note that in the above, I am not attacking you in
any way,   just your faulty reasoning.

Skip Huffman, Carreker-Antinori
Atlanta Office, Quality Group

You know that you are drinking