[RC5] v3 client to be open-source?

Karl G - NOC Admin ovrneith at tqgnet.com
Wed Apr 22 11:03:25 EDT 1998

On Wed, 8 Apr 1998, Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> As far as sexier projects go, v3 will be able to do lots, and it will be
> public, so anyone could write a core for it. It is possible that the specs
> might be made public before all the coding is done, so people could get a
> jump-start on new cores.

Jim:
the below, but not quite sure.. so i'll ask outright... will v3 be an
open-source, public project?  Open-source isn't open-source unless people
can directly contribute to the development of it.  imagine the size of
your development team... or even more important.. think about how much
less effort on the d.net coders side to fork out code. :)  I know i have
many ideas i would like to contribute... i find it very exciting to be a
part of the largest most powerful processing machine in the history of the
world.  i'm sure many others do too. (or they wouldn't be here)

Everyone:
Open-source has been proved to work and is still being proved to work time
and time again.  For those of you who don't know/understand what
open-source is, go read The Cathedral and the Bazaar;
http://www.redhat.com/redhat/cathedral-bazaar/cathedral-bizaar.html
Netscape was so impressed with this, it convinced them to release its
source code to Communicator for public development... (mozilla.org)  Which
has been a very big hit and very successful.

thanks...
  Karl Grindley
  ICQ: 2660211
  Network Administrator