[RC5] Can't stop Build 402 x86 NT service

Lee Dilkie Lee at Dilkie.com
Thu Apr 23 08:53:10 EDT 1998

Ryan,

Did you -uninstall and -install after installing the new client s/w? I
found that the service information lays around and is not correct for
the new s/w and you need to do the above mentioned steps to correct.

-lee

-----Original Message-----
From: Ryan Curtis [mailto:orion at cnw.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 22, 1998 6:35 PM
To: rc5 at lists.distributed.net; rc5help at distributed.net
Subject: [RC5] Can't stop Build 402 x86 NT service

I'm running NT4.0 (SP3) with the new v2.7019.402 service client.  Unlike
previous versions of the client, which I could stop without any
difficulty, I can't stop this service.  I've tried both the Services
applet in Control Panel (where the Stop button is greyed out) and the
"net stop bovrc5nt" command on the command line, which gives me "The
requested pause or stop is not valid for this service."

I can, of course, always use the exit file, but is there any way to stop
the client service now other than the exit file?  Why has this behaviour
changed?

Ryan Curtis
orion at cnw.com