[RC5] v3 client to be open-source?

Jim C. Nasby nasby at enteract.com
Wed Apr 22 22:54:40 EDT 1998

Karl-
First, let me say that I am in no way involved with the development of v3...it's
all Duncan's baby. :)

As I understand it, v3 will be an open networking standard. v3 doesn't _per se_
deal with cores or projects, it's just a way to move data in a fashion that is
useful for distributed computing efforts. It provides a standard interface for a
core to talk to, as well as a project server. It also provides a means for
automatically downloading new cores.

Currently, I don't know if it's been decided what amount of source code will be
public. I _*THINK*_ that v3 will be released under something similar to GNU, but
I really don't know for sure.

As I mentioned, v3 is Duncan's baby, and AFAIK he intends to design and document
it pretty much on his own. As it stands right now, the coding of the network
stuff itself will be left to our crack coding team (which could always use more
help by the way... :) ), as will development of project code for projects that
distributed.net wishes to pursue. Since it will be an open standard, you would
also be able to develop your own project software, for non-commercial use.

FYI, there is official info available straight from the 'horse's mouth' at
http://www.distributed.net/v3/ . Take a look there, and if you have any
additional ideas, send them to me at decibel at distributed.net and I'll pass them
on.

Moo!