[RC5] Problems with RC5 via HTTP proxy

Nick Leverton leveret at warren.demon.co.uk
Fri Apr 24 12:08:47 EDT 1998

In article <353FA802.3C42 at ctfinance.com> you write:
>> distributed.net RC5 project.  Unfortunately we live behind a fiendish
>> firewall, and have had no luck in getting either clients or a personal
>
>> (Our HTTP proxy is of course on 172.20.225.4:8080)
>
>How does your telnet work? You might want to try using keyserver
>port of 23, and keyserver name of us32.v27.distributed.net if it's
>a straight passthrough.

Telnet ?  I wish :-(  They took that away from us a year ago :-( :-(
The name of the large computer company concerned is withheld, to
prevent corporate embarrassment - suffice to say we're definitely
second-class net citizens.

>Alternatively, you might want to use the email buffer fetch/flush
>procedure.
>Send an empty message to fetch at distributed.net to get buffer files, of
>attach your buff-out.rc5 to a message sent to flush at distributed.net to
>have it flushed.  It's not ideal, but it's better than sneakernet.

Aha, I didn't know about that - must have missed it.  I'll give it a try.

Is there any way to feed buff-in and buff-out into a personal proxy, so
that one person could administer it for our whole team ?

Nicka
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net