[RC5] Can someone explain the graph pattern?

Steve Bennett bennetts at alphalink.com.au
Sat Apr 25 05:36:30 EDT 1998

Hi all,
I was just looking at the nice graph at
http://www.distributed.net/statistics/ and thought the pattern formed
was quite interesting. It's a bit hard to tell, but it seems the graph
is roughly cyclical every 7 days, with a peak about Sunday.  Then it
seems to slow down progressively during the week, with the low point
being about Saturday, before it peaks again.

First: am I interepreting the graphs correctly?
Second: What causes this pattern? I can sort of understand the weekend
having an effect, but why is Sunday the peak?  Does the time for the
stats servers to receive data and create the graph mean the real peak is
Saturday? And, why is each day progressively slower, with perhaps
Wednesday being a plateau?

Just intriguing, that's all.

Steve

Steve Bennett, stevage at earthling.net