[RC5] Rack stuffed full of motherboards ?

NP np at cableinet.co.uk
Sat Apr 25 14:15:12 EDT 1998

I have a strange idea (I won't be the first) to get a 6 foot rack and
stuff if full with something like:

1 large PSU.
2 fans.
As many as possible units comprising:
    Motherboard
    CPU +fan
    Small amount of RAM.
    Network card ?
    Video card ?

There'll have to be a balance between performance and price of course.
I don't know how many I will be able to cram in until I get my hands on
the rack, but obviously 30 x 286's wouldn't be worth it, on the other
hand I'm not going to fork out for 30 P-II-333's.  It'll have to be
somewhere in the middle, maybe P75/586/low-end-686's or something.

Why would I do this ?  To run a new bloated office package at a
reasonable speed ?  Er, NO;  rc5des of course, what else ?!    And for
fun.

My preferred o/s is Linux but I might consider DOS.

I'm not a hardware expert, so to you who are :

1.  Is this I silly idea (er, no please don't answer that)
2.  Is using 1 big PSU viable ?  Any complications ?
3.  Do all motherboards need a video card to boot up ?

It'd be nice not to have network cards (and video cards) in order to
cram more units in but I'm guessing that I'll definately need network
cards with boot PROMs to avoid hard drives, right ?

Any show-stoppers I've overlooked ?

I'm sure some of you must have thought about something similar and I'd
really appreciate your views.

I appologise if this is considered more hardware related than
'distributed' but I thought there might be people here interested.
Perhaps it might be more appropriate if people responded by email to me,
rather than the list ?
Perhaps the moderator would like to append a comment regarding that ?

Many thanks.

- Nick.

np at cableinet.co.uk

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net