[RC5] Communal offline NT services

Remi Guyomarch rguyom at mail.dotcom.fr
Thu Apr 30 00:47:42 EDT 1998

Derek Brost wrote:

> I'm trying to get multiple NT3.51 machines on a LAN to run the
> service client in offline mode and to use a common buffer on
> another machine which will do the flushing/fetching across
> the WAN. The way I attempted to go about this was as such:
[...]
> Next, on all the machines I edited the registry value ImagePath
> under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/bovrc5nt
> to read "C:\temp\rc5\rc5des.exe -offline". I then changed the
> ini files that were local to each machine and added
> IN=\\mymachine-ws\rc5share\buff-in.rc5
> OUT=\\mymachine-ws\rc5share\buff-out.rc5
>
> Now the problem is is that when I start the service, it runs in
> the offline mode properly, but it reports that there are 0 buffers
> in the file \\mymachine-ws\rc5share\buff-in.rc5 and same for the
> output buffer. It proceeds to generate random blocks. When I stop
> the client it doesn't write any buffers and reports buffer file
> errors.

Just an educated guess : your service clients runs under the "local
system" account (I think it's the default) and thus can't access the
NetBEUI network. Change the account to some network account on your NT
domain (and grant "modify" permission on the shared directory to this
account) and it will work.

> Originally I thought I was doing something wrong in regards to
> the share directory or permissions or something like that. But since
> then I've tested the share extensively and made sure that it is
> sound. Other programs (like a hex-editor, copying, etc.) can access
> the buffers just fine across the LAN.

Probably because you logged in with another account than the one the
service is running under.

--
Rémi		Don't waste your computer's time. Distribute it!
			http://www.distributed.net/
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net