[RC5] Re: rc5-digest V1 #191

John Campbell jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com
Thu Apr 30 22:04:27 EDT 1998

On Tue, 28 Apr 1998, Brice D. Fleckenstein wrote:

> > My preferred o/s is Linux but I might consider DOS.
>
>  DOS client running under WFWg 3.11 in a DOS box can be set up to run
> almost exactly as fast as the LINUX client - and that setup only needs
> 20-30 Megs or so of HD, where the LINUX setup needs noticeably more (60
> Megs min at a guess, and more as the various system logs start adding
> up).

	I think not. I've got a fully functional Linux system here doing RC5
in 5M of drive. It could be trimmed down a lot smaller than that if I didn't
want to be able to do things other than RC5 on it. It's quite possible to
run a Linux system off a floppy disk. With NFS-root and some network cards
and EPROMS (and ISA network cards are dirt cheap these days), you could run
a whole rack full off a single drive too small to even install WfW on, with
no local disks at all.

---
John Campbell
jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com

QotD:  Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy enough guns to make sure
nobody else can have any either.
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net