[RC5] Re: rc5-digest V1 #191

Charles P. Wright cpw at unix.asb.com
Thu Apr 30 22:50:39 EDT 1998

John Campbell wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Apr 1998, Brice D. Fleckenstein wrote:
>
> > > My preferred o/s is Linux but I might consider DOS.
> >
> >  DOS client running under WFWg 3.11 in a DOS box can be set up to run
> > almost exactly as fast as the LINUX client - and that setup only needs
> > 20-30 Megs or so of HD, where the LINUX setup needs noticeably more (60
> > Megs min at a guess, and more as the various system logs start adding
> > up).
> >
>         I think not. I've got a fully functional Linux system here doing RC5
> in 5M of drive. It could be trimmed down a lot smaller than that if I didn't
> want to be able to do things other than RC5 on it. It's quite possible to
> run a Linux system off a floppy disk. With NFS-root and some network cards
> and EPROMS (and ISA network cards are dirt cheap these days), you could run
> a whole rack full off a single drive too small to even install WfW on, with
> no local disks at all.
Check out the Linux-Router Project, it has a whole system off of a
1.44MB floppy that is a fully functional router.  If you change the boot
image enough then it could be adapted for RC5.  It all runs out of
ramdisk, so it is *blazingly* fast.  It does however need 6MB of RAM (I
think, but if you are skilled enough it can be less.)
http://www.psychosis.com/linux-router/

On c.o.l.a there was also a post about linux-lite which is a stripped
down kernel based off of 1.0.9 that can fit in less than 1 MB of RAM.

--
Charles P. Wright
cpw at unix.asb.com
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net