[RC5] HP-UX client HTTP proxy trouble

Greg Wooledge wooledge at kellnet.com
Tue Apr 28 21:48:29 EDT 1998

I'm running the "latest" HP-UX client on an HP (duh) at work, and it
doesn't seem to be able to talk through our firewall.

$ ./rc5des393-hpux10-hppa -update

RC5DES v2.7010.393 client - a project of distributed.net
Copyright distributed.net 1997
Visit http://www.distributed.net/ for more information.  './rc5des393-hpux10-hppa HELP' for usage

Network::Error Read failed 3/0
Network::Error Read failed 3/0

An error occured during the update.

Here's the INI file.  I've censored part of the httpid field for obvious
reasons.

[parameters]
id=wooledge at kellnet.com
threshold=10:10
threshold2=10:10
count=0
hours=0.000000
timeslice=65536
niceness=0
logname=
firemode=4
keyproxy=205.149.163.211
httpproxy=148.141.1.67
httpport=80
httpid=Z2F3O<CENSORED>3aW45NQ==
messagelen=0
smtpsrvr=your.smtp.server
smtpport=25
smtpfrom=RC5notify
smtpdest=you at your.site
checkpointfile=ckpoint.rc5
checkpointfile2=ckpoint.des
randomprefix=100
preferredcontest=2
preferredblocksize=30

The firewall looks like this (from the HP machine's point of view):

$ telnet 148.141.1.67 80
Trying...
Connected to 148.141.1.67.
Escape character is '^]'.
HEAD / HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.0 401 Unauthorized to access the document
WWW-Authenticate: Basic realm="firewall"

</BODY></HTML>Connection closed by foreign host.

The Linux client can connect through it with no problems using the
same settings.

Here's the HP system:

$ uname -a
HP-UX rat B.10.20 A 9000/705 2007082067 two-user license

I think I'll try setting up a listener with netcat to see what the HP
client is spitting out, since I can't strace/truss it.  Meanwhile I'm
updating the client manually, which isn't terrible since it cracks so
slowly (about 23 kkeys/sec).

--
"Daddy, why do those people have to    |   Greg Wooledge
  use Microsoft Windows?"              |   wooledge at kellnet.com
"Don't stare, son; it's not polite."   |   http://www.kellnet.com/wooledge/
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net