[RC5]V3...Lets beat the GIMPS effort

Chris Eaton tridus at inforamp.net
Tue Aug 18 02:09:41 EDT 1998

At 01:07 PM 13/08/98 , you wrote:
>I've participating in the gimps project on 1 of my PCs for a few months now
>to discover some depressing news.  I've only received credit for testing 1
>number out of the 3 I've done.  For those of you that don't know 1 number
>can take about 2 weeks to test running 24/7 on a P2/266.
>
>The first thing I thought of when this happened was how d.nets statistics
>system works pretty damn well.  Even though it only updates once a day, I've
>NEVER looked at it and thought," what the f***?".  It always looks dead on
>I'm mainly posting this just to try to trump up some support ofr a Mersenne
>prime core for V3 so that we can show a few scientific organizations how
>much can be accomplished with all us d.net users. Compared to the few
>hundred that GIMPS has.

I'll cast my vote in for this, even though I will never be doing mersenne
primes myself (486 dx2, yeah right!), but I would really like to see v3 get
done and out there... even though Iwould probably still be doing Rc5, it would
make my recruiting efforts much more successful to say that there is a wide
range of projects available.

Also I agree about stats, except for some very rare things which can
usually be
attributed to stale buffers, D.net Statistics are excellent. Congratz, and I
can't wait for Statsbox-II :)
--
"Yes, I shall go down in history as the man who opened a door."
- Leonardo da Vinci, from the movie Ever After

Chris

http://home.inforamp.net/~tridus

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net