[RC5]V3...Lets beat the GIMPS effort

Steve Bird sbird at UATC.com
Tue Aug 18 12:06:52 EDT 1998

But considering the d.net website and sheer amount of users participating, I
think that a lot of participants who are currently participating in GIMPS or
both GIMPS and d.net will switch over to one solid d.net core.  Why worry
about having two different clients to install(some on some machines and some
on others) when they could just install one client on all machines.

One thing I think would also be a good idea is for d.net's recommendation on
what kind of work to be done to be included in the client program(determined
by processor and amount of RAM or something).  I know this may slightly
increase the file size, but I think many users, especially new ones, may
find it annoying to have to go back to the website to determine what project
would be best for their machine.

Also, another issue is that with Mersenne primes, factoring will still need
to be done.  The problem is that there won't be any 'glory' in factoring.
Who wants to work to make it easier for someone else to find a new prime
number when they could have just dedicated their machine to finding the
prime number themselves.  So, I think that perhaps d.net should force this
on people.  Basically you HAVE to do some factoring, like it won't allocate
you a new part of a prime to check until you accomplish a certain block of
factoring.

Another issue is well, how will this work.  My P2-266 can crunch a prime
number in about 2 weeks.  Now, I know that's going to be unappealing to
people and hopefully d.net will break that up into smaller chunks.  But, if
this happens and a new prime is discovered then who would get credit?  Will
the new stats box keep track of all email addresses that worked on a number
or will the credit just be given to "The Users of d.Net"?

I know I'm kind of just spouting off, I'm sure that d.net is already trying
to tackle this problem.  It's just that info about v3 has been sparse for
the last month or so and I know I'm not the only user waiting for something
to chew on.