[RC5]V3...Lets beat the GIMPS effort

Jason Stratos Papadopoulos jasonp at Glue.umd.edu
Wed Aug 19 21:15:45 EDT 1998

On Wed, 19 Aug 1998, Mary Conner wrote:

On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, Kevin Postlewaite wrote:
> If d.net can create a core that rivals the performance of Woltman's
> program, it would be impressive.  But no one else has accomplished this
> yet.

There are good reasons that hasn't happened yet; George's code is the
end result of several years of constant optimization (it's on version
16.xx right now). His FFT multiply is insanely complicated, and the source
code for it contains about 200kB of assembly code.

I've been working on a high-performance multiply, off and on, for the last
few months. If it gets to within a factor of two of George's code I'll
be surprised.

jasonp

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net