[RC5] Re: rc5-digest V1 #228

Brice D. Fleckenstein ciga at surf-ici.com
Sat Aug 22 01:13:47 EDT 1998

> The first thing I thought of when this happened was how d.nets statistics
> system works pretty damn well.  Even though it only updates once a day, I've
> NEVER looked at it and thought," what the f***?".

 True in general, but *I* and a couple other folks on my team HAVE seen
blocks *dissappear* on occasion.

 The last such was just before I saw a message about one of the *key*
servers crashing or some such, though, and the timeframe mentioned
implied strongly that my block reports were ON that key server at the
time.

 I've also seen other oddities, but those normally corrected out the
next day, or 2 days later, or *may* have involved the floppy farm I used
to run (all of which are now Net machines) and OLD blocks.

 As far as GIMPS goes, I've never been able to get their software to RUN
in the first place - and I refuse to go through the HASSLE of manually
running the stuff. I also don't do 95 to any significant degree - I own
ONE machine with 95b on it, strictly for game usage (and RC5 in the
background), while most of my personal net of (currently) 14 machines
are LINUX.

 Ditto Mersenne Primes - but I personally prefer GIMPS 'cause the
results from that are eventually USEFULL in real world terms, not just
theory terms.

--

 Reply-to has been de-spammed. Real email address below.

 Brice D. Fleckenstein
 EMail: bricef at indy dot net

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net