[RC5] AMD K6-2-300 performance problems!

Chris Harrison charrison at austin360.com
Mon Aug 24 17:19:06 EDT 1998

On Mon, 24 Aug 1998 16:05:40 +0200, Yonzie wrote:

>Hi D-netters!
>
>I just upgraded to a K6-2, and I was wondering if it was possible to
>create a core to take advantage of the 3DNow! enhancements in the
>processor. I am also having some performance problems with it that I
>am currently contacting AMD about. The benchmark-speed can change from
>493Kk/s(max) to <200Kk/s...I am thinking it may be some kind of
>power-saving feature in the processor, but I'm not sure. IRL it mostly
>runs at ~260Kk/s when the comp is just cracking. I'm pretty annoyed at
>this since it should be able to do it almost twice as fast. I have
>tried using different cores, and fiddling with the level of niceness,
>but nothing seems to help.

Turn off APM in the bios and where ever else it shows up.
Use a simple screen saver(blank or power button).

3dnow does not look terribly usefull for rc5. It is mainly FP operations.
MMX for k6-2 maybe yeild some improvements.

And while you are on the phone with AMD request a hardware Rotate instructions =)

later
chris

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net