[RC5] reinventing the wheel?

Steve Bird sbird at UATC.com
Fri Aug 28 11:41:47 EDT 1998

SETI at home <mailto:SETI at home>  has been around at least since the first time
d.net went to work on RC5-56.  Its just that they haven't received the
funding they need.  Its not so much the client side stuff that they need
help with, its that they need a fast easy way to pull the data from the
Areceibo dish and the software to install THERE to do it on.

The real kicker about this project is that IMO, it's the first one that
might be able to achieve some kind of mainstream acceptance.  Considering
the popularity of preposterism(the whole UFO phenomenon) and the relatively
low system requirements, plus the nice user interface (their "we're going to
be a big community" attitude), there's a real chance we could see a LOT of
people doing this.  I WANT to participate in it, but I don't want to give up
the work I'm doing for d.net or GIMPS or Proth or....  Perhaps the V3 core
could have a small SETI at home <mailto:SETI at home>  core built for it so that
users who want to participate in all the contests will still be able to do
so(but without the pretty SETI at home <mailto:SETI at home>  interface).

I don't think their numbers of active participants is going to exceed
d.net's within their first year of operations, but I do think that their
userbase will grow faster.  Think about this, what if they could get Chris
Carter or Gillian Anderson to come out at the end of an X-files show, or
during a X-files bloopers episode, and tell people about SETI at home
<mailto:SETI at home> .  Combine publicity like that with the recent string of
"NASA/SETI is underfunded/needs help" movies to come out recently
(Armaggedon, Contact, ID4, etc...) and a LOT of people could be
participating.

I know that I sound like I'm reaching there, but at least with a project
like this, that possibility exists (ie...why would anyone famous possible
encourage support for breaking an encryption scheme?? Regardless of what WE
think of international export laws, the mainstream just ISN'T going to pay
attention).