[RC5] reinventing the wheel?

Robin Shuff RobinShuff at idium.u-net.com
Sat Aug 29 22:28:25 EDT 1998

Hi! This is my first mailing to the list, but I wanted to give some useful
information (hope someone didn't get there before me :-)

This is an article from Personal Computer World magazine UK, October 98:

IT luminaries are poring millions into a search for alien life - and you,
too are being asked to help. Gordon Moore, William Hewlett, Paul Allen and
Sandy Lerner (founders respectively of Intel, HP, Microsoft and Cisco) have
each put money into the Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence Institute
(SETI). And late this year you will be able to download a program for
intelligence-testing data collected by the world's biggest radio telescope
at Aricicibo, Puerto Rico. The idea is that PCs can crunch the data as a
background task or while users are asleep. Users download about a quarter
megabyte of data, which takes about two days to process. Any suspicious
signs are reported back for further investigation. More that 115 000 people
have already signed up for the SETI at home scheme based at the University of
California. SETI <www.seti.org> hopes to complete five detailed analyses of
the entire sky within two years.
VNU Newswire

So they already have over 115 000 (yes, one hundred and fifteen thousand)
participants - over 3 times that of d.net - and are getting publicity like
the above.

Hope this is of some use / interest.

Robin Shuff