[RC5] DES-II-3 [LONG] [Repost]

Thomas Horsten thomas at horsten.com
Sun Aug 30 13:42:12 EDT 1998

You have some very good points.

As I see it, if everything has to be reworked anyway I might as well throw
some ideas of my own in :)

If the blocks are distributed a week or so in advance, the biggest problem
as I see it will be to ensure that the clients are actually running when
the contest begins. So, we need a "block validation" scheme. What I figure
is that the following will improve our chances of making it:

 - Each client does an internal benchmark to evaluate how many keys it's
going to be able to check during the first x+(n*random) hours of the
contest.

 - It reports this to the proxy which assigns it a large enough
block. The central keyspace database marks the block as "out".

 - When the contest begins, the client connects to get the ciphertext. At
this point the block is marked as being "worked on". Any blocks that
haven't been marked in this way after y hours are redistributed.

 - The client must force a connect to the proxy immediately when it finds
the correct key and this must cause a mail to be generated and sent to RSA
immediately.

Yours sincerely,

Thomas Horsten
Thomas at Horsten.COM