[RC5] SETI@home (waiting for...) (RE: rc5-digest V1 #229)

Chris Johnson chrisj at shp.iinet.net.au
Mon Aug 31 12:21:23 EDT 1998

Here's at bit of info about SETI at home

1. It's not about little green (or grey) men and UFOs.  It's about detecting
signs of intelligent life on distant planets by looking for structured Radio
Frequency (RF) signals.

2. The project has not got to the active stage yet, the clients are still
being built.  Over 115,000 people have put their names down as interested.
I am one of them.

3. Last time I heard, it was to be a screen saver, so you could certainly
run D.Net & SETI at home.

( 3b. But I would much rather there was a SETI at home core for D.Net. )

4. There is a group on D.Net called "SETI at home (waiting for...)" - if you're
interested, join us. (search for "SETI")

5. There's a new club on yahoo called the "SETI Club".  The URL is
http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/seti - there is a strong SETI at home presence in
this (very) new club.  Please feel free to join if you want more info.

6. Yes, SETI & SETI at home needs funding.  Have a look at http://www.seti.org
if you've got money to donate to SETI or http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
if you want to SETI at home.

7. Again, SETI is not about UFOs, or X-files, etc.

I hope you find this as interesting as I do,

Chris J.

.--[ Chris Johnson ]--[ IT Administrator, Stanton Hillier Parker ]--.
|                 E-mail : chrisj at shp.iinet.net.au                  |
|        Phone: ++618 9288 0247           Fax: ++618 9481 5353      |
'--[ No Junk E-mail ]-[ Private E-mail to Kris_Johnson at yahoo.com ]--'