[RC5] Windows Screen Savers

Christopher Hicks chicks at chicks.net
Wed Dec 2 16:22:36 EST 1998

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Colin Hildinger wrote:

> OK, I normally use "Blank" as my screen saver on my work box, but
> several of the PII's in our office use GL screen savers on non or
> lightly GL accelerated video cards.  Now, this wouldn't be so bad,
> except that Windows runs the screen saver program *even* when the APM
> kicks the monitor off at night.  Does anyone know any solution to this?
> Is there anything available that will make the screen saver stop
> execution or lower priority when APM has kicked the monitor to sleep or
> off?  Is there a way that the client could (as an option) detect this
> condition and raise its priority to application level or time critical?

Is this true even if you set the "Energy saving features of monitor" on
the "Screen Saver" tab of the "Display Properties" dialog box?  It would
seem that Windows would understand that it didn't need to run the screen
saver while Windows itself had put the monitor in low-power standby or
shut it off. <SARCASM with more than a tinge of truth> Of course, I still
want DoJ to force Microsoft to produce less buggy software or be forced to
release their source to the public domain. </sarcasm>

</chris>
--
	"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a good book.
	Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."   -  Groucho Marx

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net