[RC5] Gaining A Statistical Advantage

robert zwaska rzwaska at nd.edu
Wed Dec 2 20:38:38 EST 1998

The discussion continues on whether we could improve our odds of winning
by having peculiar choosing techniques for blocks, expecially in the
DES-III.  Someone even tried to inroduce "lottery" logic.  I think
everyone really knows that we stand the same of chance winning no matter
where we start.  That would indicate that we would be best served by
choosing a simple and straightforward manner for dividing the keyspace.

The other branch of the discussion is whether we would have a sort of
further combined arms with EFF.  That is, we would coordinate our
respective efforts to minimize the overlap of searching involved.  This
is the important question.  We have to decide what our over-riding goal
of our project is. We might say that we wish for the code to be broken
in the leat amount of time, in which case we would coordinate the
attempts to not overlap.  However, I would submit that we should
coordinate our attempts so that we maximize overlap.  That way the group
with the faster system stands a better chance of winning.  After all,
this is a competition.  A prize was posted to spur groups to try to come
up with inovative ways to solve them.  Two are here posted:  the
masssive distributive computer, and the very fast dedicated system.
Which is better?  The competition will show, and the best way to ensure
the fastest wins is to maximize our overlap.

Bob Zwaska

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net