[RC5] Possible solution to open source problem.

dan carter motion at es.co.nz
Thu Dec 3 23:30:49 EST 1998

On Tue, 1 Dec 1998 12:08:47 -0600 (CST), Mark Nejedlo wrote:

>> Clients produced by others won't decrypt with the public key and can be
>> discarded by the proxies. (Actually a symmettric algorithm might
>> suffice?)
>
>why waste the overhead?  The code may be of academic intrest, but infinite
>monkies <http://www.upl.cs.wisc.edu> made their code available after
>RC5-56 ended,

Opps, i meant to say "Blocks produced by other clients won't
decrypt..." in that first sentence quoted.

And another clarification in case anyones confused, i'm talking about
having the client encrypt blocks before returning them to the proxy.
Not having the proxy encode them before being sent out.

On Tue, 01 Dec 1998 23:26:11 +0100, Leonard Michlmayr wrote:

>perhaps - additionally to the asymmetric cryptography thing you
>suggested - there could be checksums of the values returned by the
>checking routine

I think the key is to provide security without impacting performance
significantly. Im not sure if the checksums you talk about would meet
this requirement. I assume your talking about calculating them for each
key, and that might have a significant performance hit.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net