[RC5] Companies?

Seth H. Bokelman sethb at iastate.edu
Thu Dec 3 12:55:12 EST 1998

That would be "a bad idea" for I know most consumers (myself included)
would be pretty torqued if the machine they just shelled out big dollars
for is running invisible software that transmits information over the
Internet at will.  However, a nifty project might be asking local stores,
etc. To include a CD/Disk whatever with the software, and perhaps a
pamphlet discussing D.net's efforts with the computer, kind of a "Look at
this nifty thing you can do with your fast new computer, and you might win
money" type of thing.  It'd need to be well written, but the installer is
fairly idiot-proof, and any reasonably handy computer user could install
the software.  But I don't think that the project would want OEMs
installing the software unbeknownst to consumers, and I don't think most
OEMs would want to get caught in doing so, even if their intentions are
noble, there may be an "appearance of impropriety" so to speak. -Seth

At 09:52 AM 12/3/01 -0600, you wrote:
>Has anyone talked with some computer companies about putting rc5 clients
>into computers they sell? This could generate A TON of blocks. I'm sure
>it wouldn't be too hard to convince companies to let us.
>
>Jadin Hanson
>

>Free Kevin!

--------------------
 Seth H. Bokelman, ICQ#: 6497760, AOL/AIM screenname: sethb2

 Home:
	Address: Wilson 10428 Werkman, Ames, Iowa, 50013
 	Voice: (515) 572-3002

Work:
	Address: 407 Science II, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, 50011
	Voice: (515) 294-7401, Fax: (515) 294-5957

 E-Mail: sethb at iastate.edu
 WWW Page: http://www.public.iastate.edu/~sethb

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net