[RC5] overclocking + RC5?

Mike Silbersack silby at silby.com
Thu Dec 3 12:57:20 EST 1998

On Thu, 03 Dec 1998 13:21:09 +0100, Rocko wrote:

>  dear d-netters:
>
>does anybody has expieriences in overclocking a P-II 266Mhz and running RC5 on it?
>I ve read, I might have to install cpu-cooling Programs like Waterfall or anything
>else, which set cpu to energy saving mode if its not used (ahem... what was this with
>idle-time and RC5-Clients???)
>...well, I don't want to put my Pc into the fridge (well, maybe then I can run on 450
>mhz and more???), but if it works, please tell me.

The ability to run rc5 and overclock are for the most part completely
separate.  If the processor won't run rc5 stabily, it will crash on
other programs too, just less frequently.  Program such as waterfall
are basically the modern incarnation of snake oil as far as I'm
concerned.  Using them just ensures that your computer will only crash
when you're actually doing something, instead of crashing frequently if
the processor isn't properly cooled.

The maximum speed you can hope for your PII-266 to run at is 300.  333
and above PII processors were made using a more advanced technology;
300s and below are unlikely to be able to go that fast.  450 is
certainly not an option.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack
silby at silby.com
distributed.net Technical Support / Programming

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net