[RC5] RE: rc5-digest V1 #244 (Overclocking + RC5)

Chris Johnson chrisj at shp.iinet.net.au
Fri Dec 4 08:04:16 EST 1998

Hi All,

D.Net clients and Waterfall/CPUidle are mutually exclusive.  These CPU
cooling programs use idle time to power down the CPU, but RC5 uses up
idle time.  As far as I know the CPU coolers don't even get a 50-50
arrangement like if you run prime-net & RC5 - they just don't get any
chance to work.

And they do work.  If you have a Pentium-class CPU or better, CPU
coolers can both cool the CPU and reduce power consumption.  Typically
people report an increase of 30-mins to portable battery life.

I personally believe that there should be a CPU cooler plug-in for the
D.Net client, plus a scheduler and a battery usage detector for
Win95/98 portables.  (When connected to power run RC5DES, when running
from batteries use CPU cooler)

Chris J.

> Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 13:21:09 +0100
> From: Rocko <Mario.Hirth at jk.uni-linz.ac.at>
> Subject: [RC5] overclocking + RC5?
>
>   dear d-netters:
>
> does anybody has expieriences in overclocking a P-II 266Mhz and
running RC5 on it?
> I´ve read, I might have to install cpu-cooling Programs like
Waterfall or anything
> else, which set cpu to energy saving mode if its not used (ahem...
what was this with
> idle-time and RC5-Clients???)
> ...well, I don't want to put my Pc into the fridge (well, maybe then
I can run on 450
> mhz and more???), but if it works, please tell me.

.--[ Chris Johnson ]--[ IT Administrator, Stanton Hillier Parker ]--.
|     Chris.Johnson at shp.com.au      http://www.shp.iinet.net.au     |
|     Phone: ++618 9288 0247               Fax: ++618 9280 0156     |
'--[ No Junk E-mail ]-[ Private E-mail to Kris_Johnson at yahoo.com ]--'

.--[ Alternative communication channels ]---------------------------.
| ICQ: 12281057     Short Messages to: 12281057 at pager.mirabilis.com |
'--------------------------[ I use Yahoo pager as "Kris_Johnson" ]--'