[RC5] overclocking + RC5?

Derric Riegel spieg at ccm.tds.net
Thu Dec 3 18:02:30 EST 1998

>>   dear d-netters:
>>
>> does anybody has expieriences in overclocking a P-II 266Mhz
>> and running RC5 on it?
>> I've read, I might have to install cpu-cooling Programs like
>> Waterfall or anything else, which set cpu to energy saving
>> mode if its not used (ahem... what was this with idle-time
>> and RC5-Clients???)
>> ...well, I don't want to put my Pc into the fridge (well,
>> maybe then I can run on 450 mhz and more???), but if it
>> works, please tell me.

 Ive got a pii-266 running 68.5x4.5(309), if you have an abit motherboard,
333 is definately a possiblity (you will most likely have to add some
voltage to achieve this). If you dont have an abit, you can still do it, if
you are good with a soldering iron and like to perform surgery on your
hardware. Its not by any means a simple procedure tho. 309 is fairly esay
to attain, as for the cpuidle/rain/waterfall proggies, heres what they do.
basically, they cut the voltage to your cpu a little, .1 volts or so, and
in essence, put your cpu in a standby mode. however, with rc5 running, rc5
will take a higher priority, and thus these proggies are useless. without
rc5 runnin, these proggies will knock a few or at most 10 degrees farenheit
off your operating temperatures. if you are planning to overclock that
pii(klamath core), its gonna get hot, so make sure you have a fan or 2 in
your box(personally i have 7). waterfall, unlike the other idle programs,
can actually help you overclock. it allows you to set it up so that when
your cpu reaches a certain load, itll kick on and basically limit your cpu.
kind of defeating the purpose of overclocking if you ask me, but i guess it
gives you the bragging rights to say ya squeezed out a few more mhz. in any
case, if your interested, under win9x, with my 266 at 309 and *nothing* else
aside from the shell running, i average 865kkeys. best of luck to ya, feel
free to ask any questions, ill try to answer em for ya.

Derric Riegel
spieg at ccm.tds.net

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net