[RC5] overclocking + RC5?

Korvus korvus at tasam.com
Thu Dec 3 22:36:46 EST 1998

I disagree with the Waterfall comment -- even while you're using the
computer you are rarely using 100% CPU time (the principle that d.net was
based on) and therefore it makes logical sense that it would still help the
computer while it's running.  Two facts remain, however:

1) Waterfall and RC5 DON'T mix -- I've tried it.  Either Waterfall will
never kick in or RC5 will have such a low keyrate it's not even worth it

2) I agree with the speed comment.  Overclocking a 266 to 450 is absurd.
Ignoring the "more advanced technology" comment (which very well may apply),
I still wouldn't overclock a processor by more than 20-25% just out of
common sense.  That gives you 333 at best.  And I would certainly not try
that without a fan in the case in addition to a processor fan (not just a
heat sink on the processor).

Oh, and one more thing -- if you have to run Waterfall YOU'VE OVERCLOCKED
TOO MUCH.  Trust me.

          - Jeff Poole