[RC5] overclocking + RC5?

Juan Valdez jbudde at one.net
Sat Dec 5 00:58:31 EST 1998

Date sent:      	Fri, 4 Dec 1998 21:48:01 +0200 (EET DST)
From:           	Meelis Roos <mroos at cs.ut.ee>
To:             	rc5 at lists.distributed.net
Subject:        	Re: [RC5] overclocking + RC5?
Send reply to:  	rc5 at lists.distributed.net

> > 2) I agree with the speed comment.  Overclocking a 266 to 450 is absurd.
>
> Not if you have a Celeron which actually has the core of 400 or 450 mhz
> PII but without cache. Sold as 266 or 300.

Same here...a friend of mine has a Celeron 300A, which is
normally clocked at 66 x 4.5 (multiplier locked) on an LX
motherboard. He put it on a BX motherboard, and boom, 100 x 4.5
= 450 mhz. This works really well with no more fans than usual
(well, the heatsink on his chip has two, but other than that...). This
works a lot better than a PII 300 standard, because the 128 kB
cache (plenty to hold the RC5 code, I think) is on-die, not just on
chip as with the PII. Also the heatsink & fans are closer on Celeron.

There were also a few PII-300s made before August or something
(there's a code on the chip to check for) that are actually PII-
450s...oops Intel. Trust me -- the marks are identical. It isn't
overclocking on that chip. Too bad they're impossible to find, and
most of the people who have them probably don't know it.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net