[RC5] Re: rc5-digest V1 #245

Jamie Town gwar at silcom.com
Fri Dec 4 13:05:52 EST 1998

At 14:49 12/04/98 -0500, you wrote:

>rc5-digest          Friday, December 4 1998          Volume 01 : Number 245
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 11:36:03 +0100
>From: "Wouter Janssens" <wj at vvksm.be>
>Subject: RE: [RC5] strategic starting point in the upcoming DES contest
>
>Good point, but wrong. Because here starts the psychology:
>
>If EFF knows that we will use these tactics, shouldn't they pretend to
>start at the very first block, but in fact start elsewhere. If they know
>where we start and how we are dividing the space, they have a 100% chance
>of winning against us. They're faster, so the can stay ahead of us. The
>danger is neither of us will get the price. The advantage of EFF is they
>end first.
>
>EFF will never tell us how they are going to work (supposing they're
>competing with us).
>
>If it's about winning the price, and getting as much money as possible, we
>should work together and divide the space. If that's impossible, we should
>never mention in lists like this one what our plans are.

I find it hard to believe that EFF is in it for the money.  They'd have to
win 25 $10k contests just to cover the cost of developing and building
their code breaker.  They're in it to prove a point.  If they're in it for
the money they really need some new accountants.  :)

Has anyone from d.net contacted them?

>------------------------------
>
>Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 09:55:36 -0700
>From: Steve Bird <sbird at UATC.com>
>Subject: RE: [RC5] Gaining A Statistical Advantage
>
>Besides, the only way to really implement this would be to basically have
>their machine join d.net.  Do you really think it would be possible to get a
>fully working client for their custom hardware built in the small amount of
>time remaining before the contest starts?   Even if it could happen, their
>client probably wouldn't be as optimized for their hardware as much as our
>client software is for the different platforms.

They've already got the decryption engine written and working.  It would
just be a matter of communicating with the keyservers.  The keyblocks could
even be handed out 'by hand' if it came down to that.  Just give them big
enough chunks to keep them busy for 8 hours at a time or so.

The easiest method of cooperation (assuming nobody's in it for the money)
would be for each group to pick an end and start cracking.  No muss, no fuss.

>No... a distributed system of computers using idle time isn't going to
>outgun a dedicated piece of hardware.  It also isn't going to cost $250,000
>either.

Nope.  We surpassed their cost long ago.  The combined cost of simply
running ~30,000 PCs ain't cheap.  That doesn't include the cost of building
them.  The difference is that very few of us have built systems
specifically to crack DES.

>------------------------------
>
>Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 21:39:05 -0500
>From: "Colin L. Hildinger" <colin at ionet.net>
>Subject: Re: [RC5] Windows Screen Savers
>
>Yes, all the boxen have APM stuff enabled, yet the boxes with people
>running GL screensavers don't do well at all, they actually crack more
>during the day than at night because the screensavers aren't running!
>I did go in today and quietly lower their detail levels and speeds a
>bit, so that may help some. :)  Most of these machines are also running
>ATI Rage Pro chipsets and I downloaded and installed the beta 2 GL
>drivers for them, so that might help some, too.  The ideal solution,
>though, would be to have the screen saver stop running when the APM
>kicked the monitor to sleep.  Next to that, having the client go to
>higher priority in this mode as an option would be nice.

I have this problem with one user/machine at work.  My solution was also to
drop the detail level and speed.  And now the screensaver doesn't kick in
for 60 minutes.  :)  The rest all have basic savers like starfield or
marquee which I've set to snail-slow.  I'm getting an average of about
470kkeys/sec from K6/300s running at lowest priority with non-GL
screensavers.  Unfortunately, most of our fast machines are running
critical applications so I'm not about to put the client on them.

Jamie Town
gwar at silcom.com
"Three monkeys, ten minutes."
   - Dogbert