[RC5] DES II-3 Work to Completion?

rkbutler rkbutler at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 20 10:47:07 EST 1998

Below is a message which I sent at the end of DES II-2.  I'm sending it
out again because I the point is still valid.  Distributed.Net should
continue working on DES II-3 to completion, regardless of other teams
finding the key.  What does everyone else think?

Rob Butler

<<<Original Post>>>
<<<Tue, 21 Jul 1998 20:28:00 -0400>>>

Not wanting to beat a dead horse, I think it would have been very
interesting for us to have continued the work on DES II-2 until we found
the correct key. I realize that the work would have been done for
nothing more than academic curiosity, but I think it would be valuable
information to know; 1) How long it takes us to "Ramp Up" to full speed
on DES contests; 2) How many clients do not switch over for various
reasons; 3) Ensure that D.net's proxies and master keyserver could
sustain a full load; and 4) How long it would have taken us anyway.

I think we stopped to soon to gain some fairly valuable information.
Also, while EFF made a very strong statement with Deep Crack, we would
have reinforced that statement within a very few days by successfully
finding the same key. We very easily could have been within 12 hours of
finding the key.

Even without the prize money, isn't the data we could have gained by
completing DES-II-2 worth it? Especially in light of us doing only an
average of 0.00584%/day on RC5-64.

Rob Butler

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net