[RC5] Inflated block count???

John Campbell jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com
Fri Dec 25 23:31:14 EST 1998

On Thu, 24 Dec 1998, Charles Franks wrote:

> Yesterday (12/23/98) my online machines turned in their usual number of
> blocks.. normally around 300 or so... I also purged my off-line machines
> via sneakernet and submitted the blocks from work.. where the connection
> is firewalled... this accounted for another 300 blocks or so (I have the
> exact number written down at work). However when I view my stats this
> morning it shows me having completed 1771 blocks!!  Not that I really
> mind the nice jump in ranking since I work as an individual :)

	The stats count 2^28 blocks. If your machines are cracking a
different block size, their returned blocks will be counted as an equivalent
number of 2^28 blocks. Most machines request 2^30 blocks, and end up
cracking a mixture of 2^30, 3*2^28, 2^29, 2^28 blocks, which will be
counted as 4, 3, 2, or 1 block, respectively.

---
John Campbell
jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com

QotD:  An effective way to deal with predators is to taste terrible.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net