[RC5] DES II-3 Work to Completion?

Lee Dilkie Lee at Dilkie.com
Sat Dec 26 11:06:40 EST 1998

Steve,

Unless you are privy to something the rest of the programming/engineering
community doesn't know, you'd be wise to not make such pronouncements. In
point of fact, no simulation or beta testing effort could possibly duplicate
the real-life situation of 50,000+ processors, real networks, real outages
and all the variables, foreseen and unforeseen that can arise in the real
world. Anyone, and probably everyone in this industry has been humbled by
problems that have arisen in the field on stuff you were "absolutely sure"
was 100 percent, fully tested and bullet proof. Even organizations like NASA
and the military get surprised by bugs! And, I'll bet they have far more
resources to do testing that you do.

Think for a moment on how many s/w changes have occured since we last found
a key in the field? DES-56-I was the last time! What, a year ago?

-lee

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Bird [mailto:sbird at UATC.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 23, 1998 2:58 PM
To: rc5 at lists.distributed.net
Subject: RE: [RC5] DES II-3 Work to Completion?

Just because we haven't solved an entire keyspace doesn't mean that
keyspace/block recycling hasn't been tested.  There are beta testers and
beta-testing sessions.  It has ALREADY reacted for real in beta-testing.
Besides, there are better and faster ways to check this out without having
to drill through an entire 2^56 keyspace.

I understand your need to know that the system is as robust as d.net  is
boasting ( :-) ).  However, if anything, the whole network of proxy/master
servers has been tested upside down and inside out.  I think that there will
need to be some alterations to this as V3 debuts and multiple projects get
worked on simultaneously(I can't remember if any admins discussed this or
not).  But, the core logic is definitely capable and stable.