[RC5] Client checkpoint file bug

Seth Dillingham seth at snet.net
Thu Jan 1 10:32:06 EST 1998

Rask Ingemann Lambertsen (rask at kampsax.k-net.dk), on 1/1/98 9:56 AM,
wrote the following:

>   In an attempt to find out why some of the blocks I've flushed aren't
>acknowledged by the stats, I analysed my log files and found a bug in the RC5
>client. Some blocks are being checked and completed more than once:

If we don't here something official-like on either of your questions by
tonight, I'll start digging in a few different ways and see what I can
come up with. I can't answer any of these questions myself.

So, Adam/David/Jeff (er, Duncan/Nugget/Bovine), care to comment
'officially' on some of this, and save all of us the trouble? ;) There
have certainly been enough comments in the last month about disappearing
blocks. It would be great to have some official comment on it, including:
     1. What the most common causes are, of AWOL blocks
     2. What's the remedy in the situations that HAVE a remedy?
     3. Can you, or the programmer, confirm the bug that Rask
         has just reported? That would be nice. It's entirely
         possible that it's specific to the client he's working
         with, but not necessarily. Lots of the clients share
         some common code. :)

"We can do this the easy way, or the hard way..." ;)

Seth
To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net