[RC5] Cracking 40 bits in realtime

Matt Perry matt at primefactor.com
Thu Jan 1 14:49:55 EST 1998

With that kind of power, why not just start cracking 40 bit messges left
and right.  Let people submit a 40 bit message they need cracked, send it
out across d.net, then email the reply back to the sender (or post it on a
web site).

	I say all of this is jest somewhat, but think about the basic
idea.  What better way to undermine U.S. encryption policy than to make
the opening of a 40 bit message just the effort of emailing the message
and getting your reply back within an hour.

	Let's start at the beginning, shall we?  Forget 56 bit and 64 bit.
Those take a long time and you can't even export them.  If 40 bit is the
standard, then let's start there.  Crack several a day, everyday, until
the bar is raised.  When everyone, and I mean people like my mom and dad
who own a computer but don't know much about this stuff, your average
person on the street, sees that weak encryption "like what Netscape uses"
has the same amount of security as a child-proof asprin bottle peoples
perceptions will start to change and we will get a more balanced support
of people.

Matt Perry | matt at primefactor dot com
"After ecstacy, laundry." - Zen writing

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net