[RC5] Cracking 40 bits in realtime

James Mastros root at jennifer-unix.dyn.ml.org
Thu Jan 1 17:00:13 EST 1998

On Thu, 1 Jan 1998, Matt Perry wrote:
> With that kind of power, why not just start cracking 40 bit messges left
> and right.  Let people submit a 40 bit message they need cracked, send it
> out across d.net, then email the reply back to the sender (or post it on a
> web site).
>
> 	I say all of this is jest somewhat, but think about the basic
> idea.  What better way to undermine U.S. encryption policy than to make
> the opening of a 40 bit message just the effort of emailing the message
> and getting your reply back within an hour.
[...]
> Matt Perry | matt at primefactor dot com
> "After ecstacy, laundry." - Zen writing

I like this idea, oddly enough.  Unfortunately, it hurts civilins along the
way, so I cannot support it.  Also, it isn't possible without major re-writes:
1)  We would need to distribute the crypt-text automaticly.
2)  We would need to have a more complex way of checking if it is a proper
    decription.  (What way?)

	-=- James Mastros

--
Information as a base of power is coming to an end.  In the way the world
works tomorrow, the power to *do* *something* *with* *information* is what

	-=- James Mastros, rephrasing Nugget (David McNett, distributed.net
	    Big Man)

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net