[RC5] DES 2 (in preparation of)

Daniel Baker dbaker at wrangler.cuckoo.com
Thu Jan 1 18:31:34 EST 1998

> Ummm... I have a question...
>
> Will all support for RC5 be dropped during the duration of DES II? I've got some
> clients that I won't easily be able to convert, and I'd hate to have them
> churning random blocks for 23 days.
>
> Based on what Nugget said in the state of d.net address this week, it sounds like
> RC5 processing will be able to run concurrent with DES II. (What he said, if I
> remember correctly, is that RC5 stats will still be collected during DES II, you
> just won't be able to get to them.)
>
> Could we get some clarification on how DES II will affect RC5 clients/proxies?

Distributed.net will be hosting two challenges, DESII and RC5-64. When you
download a dual client (ie. it can do DES and RC5-64), you will be prompted
on which effort you wish to work on. Both will work, and so will existing
RC5-64 (v2.640x) clients.

Distributed.net would appreciate your participation in DES, but if you
can't upgrade some machines due to physical access problems, or other issues,
don't worry, as proxies will continue to run the 64 bit proxy.

I hope this clears some things up.

Daniel
distributed.net
To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net