[RC5] Cracking 40 bits in realtime

Roy Wilson emperor at slic.com
Fri Jan 2 09:02:10 EST 1998

On Fri, 02 Jan 98 06:48:37 -0500, Skip Huffman wrote:

>>With that kind of power, why not just start cracking 40 bit messges left
>>and right.  Let people submit a 40 bit message they need cracked, send it
>>out across d.net, then email the reply back to the sender (or post it on a
>>web site).

>This is an immoral act.  Just because I can shoplift, does not mean
>that I should.  I unequivocally oppose this suggestion.  I would
>immediatly leave d.net and encourage criminal proceedings upon those
>who engaged in such an enterprise.

	I'm all for showing how weak the various commercial
encryption packages are.  Offering decryption services is a
whole 'nother ball of string.

	I'd like to see a challenge come from VISA, Mastercard,
Chase Bank, etc.  But that won't happen, as d.net would
(hopefully!) NOT take on a project they could not make the
results of public, and I can't see a CC company or bank
*wanting* people to know how unsecure their accounts are.

Roy Wilson <emperor at slic.com>
Lat: 44.850959 Lon: -74.40286 [+/- 6']

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net