[RC5] My own little rant

The Man theman at fallout.dyndns.com
Fri Jan 2 10:34:31 EST 1998

gindrup at okway.okstate.edu wrote:

>         Besides, we know that a three day lag for "officially reporting"
>      winning keys is not unheard of.  Then just wait until a competitor
>      reports the block found, "discover" that the block was found about a
>      day before the competitor ("we hadn't been looking this early"), get
>      the prize money and continue.  It's not as if we're lying.  We *found*
>      the key before then.
>             -- Eric Gindrup ! gindrup at okway.okstate.edu

'Cept this won't work. RSA checks "this is the key" submissions in the order
in which they are received; if a competitor sends them the winning block
before us, they win, even if we can prove we found it first (unlikely).
(http://www.rsa.com/rsalabs/des2/html/rules.html) After all, *knowing* that
you found it is half the battle.

Keith Wesolowski		theman at fallout.dyndns.com
University of Nevada - CS/EE	Visit Reno's Fastest Computer!!!
The Fallout Shelter - North	http://fallout.dyndns.com/
To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net